YTL Cement Berhad began its footing in the 1970s, when cement was scarce in the market, to support its construction works and mitigate risks of supply in the market. From what was then a single operation of one batching plant and 6 trucks, the group began charting its growth in the coming years.
Associated Pan Malayan Cement (APMC) began its operations with 2 cement plants in the west coast of Peninsular Malaysia – Rawang Works in 1953 and Kanthan Works in 1964. These 2 cement plants continued to grow and expand over the years, to incorporate new advancements in the cement manufacturing industry and to meet environmental standards.
YTL Cement (then known as Buildcon Berhad) was listed in the second board of Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad, and 4 years later, was transferred to the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad. In 2012, however, YTL Cement was delisted and privatised under the umbrella of YTL Group.
Pahang Cement Sdn Bhd officially commenced its operations in Bukit Sagu, Pahang. Undertaken as a joint venture between YTL Cement and the Pahang State Government, this state-of-the-art cement plant was (and remaining to-date July 2019), the only integrated cement plant in the eastern corridor of Peninsular Malaysia. In 2004, YTL Cement acquired the remaining 50% stake of Pahang Cement Sdn Bhd. This plant was to be further upgraded 20 years-on, equipped with the latest technological advancement to meet the latest environmental standards and European standards on lower nitrogen oxide emissions and energy efficiency.
In the west coast, YTL Cement acquired 64.8% of Perak Hanjoong Simen Sdn Bhd – Malaysia’s then second largest integrated cement producer. The remaining 35.2% share was acquired in 2010.
In 2019, YTL Cement acquired stake in Lafarge Malaysia and consolidated its subsidiaries, bridging a strong network of technical expertise and research & development efforts to further fuel construction advancement in the country.